3.5.09

Snow Globes


My grandparents always used to buy me snow globes when I was small, I had ones of Rotorua, Japan and the North Pole. I loved them.
So it was with great joy I stumbled upon the work of Walter Martin and Paloma Muñoz, a husband and wife artist duo who sculpt and arrange miniature, three-dimensional scenes of alienation, dread and dark humor and set them inside snow globes.
Um, cool! I love miniatures! And I love the uncomfortable little scenes that are revealed when the snow settles.
"Inside the globes, beneath curved glass that creates optical distortions, bland, suited figures carrying suitcases appear ambushed by hunting parties. Citified ladies trudge through snowbanks toward lurking wolves and worse. Trees are not just leafless but may have nattily dressed bodies hanging from their branches. A large-headed boy methodically bangs his forehead against a tree trunk."

You can see more of their work here






No comments:

Post a Comment