14.4.09

FOMO


Do you find it hard to say no? If your friends are planning a night out when you’re a) broke, b) tired or c) can’t be fucked, do you still go anyway? Do you fret at the thought of others partaking in drinking festivities while you’re holed up at home or work?
Then, my friends, you may be suffering from FOMO: Fear of missing out.
Ha! Isn’t it brilliant? While I’m wary and, quite frankly, a bit concerned about my increasing acceptance of acronyms, this is one I love! Our friend Jaimee educated me on the concept of FOMO on the weekend and I think she’s got a jolly good point.
Quite regularly on a Friday night I find myself reluctantly blow-drying my hair in the mirror and downing a bottle of Sauv when, deep down, I know all I want to do is eat sour skittles and watch New Zealand’s Next Top Model. But this desperate little voice in my head says “come on now Christine! Everyone else is going! They could be talking about this night for years!.” And so on. And so I go out. And by the end of the night I realise I would have missed out on very little had I stayed home.
FOMO is responsible for the messy areas in my life, eg, finance, weight and lack of willpower. FOMO is why I forfeited overtime on Thursday night in order to drink wine + talk shit with my girlfriends. I can’t miss out, after all.
I realise I’m offering no solution to this FOMO conundrum, but now I’m fully aware of this tragic motivating factor for going out, perhaps I might learn to keep a lid on it and spare myself the cash and calories on occasion. Right? Right.
Ps: The picture? It doesn’t relate whatsoever, I know. But it’s a black man wearing fluffy trousers, raging to a boombox whilst riding a dolphin. Why not.

3 comments:

  1. THIS IS EXACTLY US! why have we not discovered this succinct and bang-on acronym to perfectly describe our condition sooner! you know our emails from hear on in are going to be riddled with "aaaaaargh FUCK....FOMO!!!" hahaha heart u

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh liss. This post DOES sound like you. I must meet this Christine girl. I have a feeling i'll be seeing double. Drink at ours fri? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah yep me and Christine are pretty much the same person, she's just smaller :) and yes drinks at your guys again could be an option! though I think we'll start pretty early at Marina and Sindey's! we'll sort it then anyway :) x

    ReplyDelete