29.3.09

No Miracles Here




My religious views are simple: I don't believe in organised religion.
I know faith can have a good effect on some peoples lives etc, I just feel the whole us-against-them / my-god-is-better-than-your-god attitude that comes with organised religion is divisive and responsible for a whole of of the problems in the world. As Socrates pointed out, we know nothing. Fact. We actually don't. There is no one in this world qualified to say what is holy and what is not because no one actually knows. Anyway. I don't want to get too deep and heavy here, I just got thinking about the subject after coming across the work of Glasgow artist Nathan Coley. He looks at religion in his installations, or, more specifically, "explores the ways in which architecture and public space can symbolise systems of social and political value, as well as religious belief".

Old churches are very beautiful, amazing, etc, we went to enough around Europe to to appreciate them, of course. But it's just so strange to think that decades were spent building these incredible structures in aid of something that is so untangible and has never been proven / backed up etc. It's all in the faith of words that have been passed on for generations. I find it bizarre.

Wow. That's definitely enough deepness for a hungover sunday night.
You can see more of Nathan Coley's work here

No comments:

Post a Comment