23.3.09

Good music / Bad music


Today a lovely little box filled with brand new CD’s arrived on my desk for review. Among them, some pretty shit ones, including a full album of techno remixes of Kylie Minogue (how I imagine hell on earth might sound), Rod Stewart Unplugged and some dude from Matchbox 20. But! There is a diamond among the rough, in the form of the new Mint Chicks album, Screen. I listened very quickly before and can tentatively report it sounds cool; a bit more pop and less punk than their previous stuff. This is not a bad thing.
But I’m no indie-cool-kid that only likes “acceptable” music such as the Mint Chicks. There is a CD hidden in the pile that is totally appealing to my bad tastes - a compilation called Songbirds (imaginative), featuring tracks from “the most beautiful female voices of our time”. Part tragic, but mostly awesome, it’s got some old favourites like Where Have All The Cowboys Gone (Paula Cole), Who Will Save Your Soul (Jewel) and Crucify (Tori Amos). There’s even Cher and Luka by Suzanne Vega! Rad.
I <3 my new task as review editor. All music is good music as long as it is free music.

1 comment: